Sunday, August 28, 2016

Joe's Colorado Trail - Daily Logbook

7/20/16 – Waterton Canyon to Bear Creek; 6,177 feet; 8.7 miles

Molly took my picture and gave me a hug.  I started walking at 10:00 am.  I saw bighorn sheep on Waterton Canyon Road.  I fell and busted my head open about 2:00, 7.5 miles in.   I broke my sunglasses and one pair of readers when I fell.  I also badly bent my second pair of readers, but I can use them.  I stopped for the day at Bear Creek, 8.7 miles in.  A large black squirrel watched me prepare dinner.  Camped next to me is one woman traveling alone.  I only said hello, so I don’t know her story.  There is also a couple camped across the creek, maybe in their 50s, but I didn’t speak with them.  My eye has turned black. 


7/21/16 – to South Platte River Trailhead; 6,117 feet; 8.1 miles

My right eye turned very black overnight, and is badly swollen.  I broke camp and started walking about 7:45.  I intended to do 13 miles today, but settled for only 8 after learning there is 10 miles ahead with no water.  I arrived at the South Platte River Trailhead at 12:30 after a leisurely but painful hike.  My pack is hurting me – the shoulder straps and hip belt.  And I have a sensitive spot on my right foot, exactly where I hurt it on May 7th.  After carrying my pack all around this trailhead, the couple I saw last night at Bear Creek finally offered to share their tent site with me.  They are Larry and Marcella from Enumclaw, Washington.  They are hoping to do the entire CT.  I also saw a group of 3 young men I had briefly spoken to yesterday.  They are also planning for the entire trail.  I saw 2 snakes and a chipmunk.  I miss MB.


7/22/16 – to “small intermittent stream;” 7746 feet; 13.6 miles

It was a hard, long day.  More than 10 miles without water.  My 2 liters was not enough.  And hot.  I left South Platte River at 7:00 am, and reached this small creek with campsite at 5:00.  It was first campsite with water since last night’s camp.  My pack is hurting me.  I put Compeed on my heel this morning and had no trouble.  I am camping again with Larry and Marcella.  I have been unable to get cell signal since the trip began.  My phone battery now down to 67%, and has accomplished zero.  I saw rabbits and mule deer today. 


7/23/16 – to “small creek;” 8,127 feet; 9.9 miles

I resolved to make it a short day today, because yesterday hurt.  So I made camp just shy of 10 miles down the trail.  I left at 7:00 am; arrived here at 1:00 pm.  I moved fast the first 2 or 3 hours, and then took frequent rest stops and made slow time.  Larry and Marcella were here when I arrived, but they planned to go another 4.8 miles, so I bid them farewell.  I found a great campsite just upstream of the trail along a very tiny creek.  I got a bath!  It was cold, but I feel so much better.  Then a rum cocktail.  I wish MB were here.


7/24/16 – to junction with Brookside-McCurdy Trail; 10,428 feet; 11.6 miles

I wanted to get in at least ten miles today, and I ended up with almost twelve.  But I am dead tired, and I am not using an established campsite.  I walked through Lost Creek Wilderness, which was very nice.  I gained 2,300 feet of elevation, and am now over 10,000 feet – almost 5000 feet higher than when I started.  There is no water here.  One liter left after supper.  The guidebook says 5.2 miles to next water.  I hope it’s wrong.  Still no cell phone service, which is very frustrating.  I sure would like to know what’s going on with Maribeth, Jade, and Molly.  Mosquitos here are terrible.I discarded the repellent to cut weight.  I lost my hat today!!  I gave away ½ pound of dried pineapple and ½ pound of malt balls to hungry north-bounder, “Rawah Ranger.”


7/25/16 – to Johnson Gulch; 9,521 feet; 13.7 miles

I walked almost 14 miles in 9 hours today.  I felt great this morning, but my pack started bothering me badly, and I could not use the hip belt the last 5 miles.  Still, I feel fairly good this evening.  I finally got a call through to MB, which put my mind at east.


7/26/16 – to campsite not noted in guidebook; approximately 11,000 feet; approximately 15 miles

I got an early start this morning.  The walk from last night’s campsite to the high point above and before Kenosha Pass was gorgeous -- best of the trip so far.  I had lunch at Guernsey Creek, which I had set as my minimum distance for the day.  But then I kept walking another five hours, finally camping approximately 1 mile above the CT intersection with Michigan Creek Trail.  About 15 miles total today in 11 hours.  I am two days away from Breckinridge.  I walked the entire day without using my hip belt, and all but the first two miles in my sandals.  I might replace my pack in B’ridge.  My boots hurt my right ankle.


7/27/16 – to campsite not noted in guidebook; approximately 10,500 feet; approximately 16 miles

I left camp at 7:00, and arrived at Georgia Pass just after 8:00.  Gorgeous!!  With help from ibuprofen, was able to wear boots much of the day.  But this was the second straight day without fastening my hip belt.  I got to my intended campsite at 1:00 pm, so I kept going.  I found this tiny rarely-used campsite at 6:00.  I’ll have dinner, maybe a small cocktail, then hit the bed.  Breckinridge tomorrow!!  I developed a small blister on my right heel late today.


7/28/16 – to Highway 9 (9,197’,) and on to The Bivvy Hostel, Breckinridge (9,760’;) approx. 7.9 miles

I skipped the hot breakfast, instead gobbling nuts, and started walking at 6:20.  I saw 2 female moose on the trail down to Breckinridge.  I arrived on Highway 9 before 10:00 am, caught the shuttle into town, and reached The Bivvy Hostel by 11:00.  I’ve had a shower, beer, Mexican food, beer, a trip to the store, beer, pizza, beer, and now bed.  Life is good!


7/29/16 – Zero day in Breckinridge; 0.0 miles

I took a rest day.  I ate a lot, drank some beer, and took care of some family business.  Breckenridge is a decent town:  full of tourists, but friendly, outdoor-oriented, and with good food.  I even got most, not all, of my clothes washed.


7/30/16 – to Tenmile Creek; 9,767 feet; 12.6 miles

After a hearty breakfast at The Bivvy hostel, I walked and bussed to Gold Hill Trailhead.  I started walking about 9:30.  I reached 12,495 feet, crossing the Tenmile Range between Breckenridge and Copper Mountain.  That’s a new high elevation for this trip so far.  It was up about 3,500 feet to the crest, then almost as much back down.  I am now camped along Tenmile Creek, which is mercifully drowning out most sounds from the nearby highway.  I arrived here at 6:30.


7/31/16 – to Cataract Creek; 10,085 feet; 16.8 miles

I started walking at 7:00 am.  I felt good and made good time early.  I had lunch below Searle Pass.  I got stuck in a thunderstorm and cold rain, sometimes sleet, high up on the ridge.  I hunkered down in willow in a low spot, and waited it out.  I finally reached Elk Park, my high spot for the day, at 3:00.  I reached this campsite near Cataract Creek by 5:00.  At 16.8 miles, this has been my longest day so far.  Two moose cows visited camp; then a lone through-hiker much younger than me, who had done 25 miles today.  Sweet & Sour Pork and rum cocktail for dinner.  Very fine!  I have 9 miles tomorrow to Tennessee Pass, where I hope to hitch a ride into Leadville.  I passed the one-quarter-complete mark today!  There were lots of marmots and pikas up high today.


8/1/16 – to Tennessee Pass (10,435’) and on to Leadville (10,240’;) 9.0 miles


I made good time, leaving camp just before 7:00 am, and arriving at Tennessee Pass before 11:00.  I saw a female moose with two calves.  I maneuvered in front of her, 30 feet away, to get a close-up photo.  She charged me!!  I threw up my arms and growled like a bear, there being no point running and no place to hide. She turned and ran off, maybe 15 feet from me.  What a shock!  I did not expect an aggressive animal.  Lesson learned!  I had a little trouble getting a ride into Leadville from Tennessee Pass, but finally a truck driver picked me up.  He told me moose were more dangerous than bears.  Boy, I wish I’d known.

Leadville Hostel is a cool place.  Kind of how I imagine MB’s American Albergue.  I rode the hostel’s bicycle to the grocery store, ate one huge pizza, and drank one pint of beer.  Then bedtime. 


8/2/16 – to Glacier Creek; 10,115 feet; 14.0 miles

I woke at 6:00, packed up, and walked to The Golden Burro (aka as “The Brass Ass”) for a big breakfast.  Then I set out hitch hiking to Tennessee Pass.  I walked at least two miles before a commercial window-washing truck gave me a ride.  I started hiking from Tennessee Pass about 9:15, and arrived at this campsite at 6:15.  So 14 miles in 9 hours.  I got off trail mid-afternoon, following a fisherman’s trail down to Bear Lake.  I finally bushwacked back to the CT with help from the CT app on my phone.  My pack was heavier today because of my Leadville resupply, but I felt good.


8/3/16 – to Herrington Creek; 10,320 feet; 16.0 miles

Not a particularly scenic or interesting day.  Just a slog.  I left camp at 7:00 am, and arrived here at 4:30.  So 16 miles in 9 ½ hours.  I could have gone further, but my pack was bothering me, I was starting to get tired, and it was raining lightly.  For the first time in several nights – since before Georgia Pass – someone else is camped nearby.  It is one man’s 66th birthday today.  The other man, who I assume to be the son, is younger and deferential. 

Perhaps the most interesting thing all day happened to me as I was preparing to brush my teeth and go to bed.  A young couple arrived.  I told them there was room for another tent.  They told me about a route variation they had taken today (they’re headed northbound toward Denver) that affirmed something I had noticed on the map.  I’ll probably take that variation (shortcut?) tomorrow.  But most interesting was the couple themselves.  Bongo (him) and Sci-Fi (her.)  I’d guess mid-to-late twenties.  He started in Durango 2 ½ weeks ago.  So 300+ miles in maybe 18 days?  She had joined him a few days ago.  They were very vibrant, excited, upbeat people.  He had a weird beard and a weird haircut.  Nice people.  I’m glad we have people that that in the world.  It’s raining again, and I’m turning out the headlamp.  Nite nite.


8/4/16 – to campsite 0.1 mile short of “small creek,” CW02; 10,096 feet; approximately 15.1 miles

It rained most of last night, but had stopped when I awoke.  I had a quick breakfast and left before 7:00 am.  I took the “faint” path (it is not so faint) down to Twin Lakes, arriving about 9:00.  There was no breakfast to be bought, but I lingered around Twin Lakes General Store; had an ice cream bar, a banana, a bag of fritos, and a cup of coffee.  It started raining, and I pondered alternatives.  I finally decided to start walking, taking the shortcut down Rt. 82 to the Willis Gulch Trailhead, then up to the CT-Collegiate West via Little and Big Willis Trail (aka Bermuda Triangle Trail.)  I calculate this saved me 5.7 miles, but it may not be quite so much.  It rained all day, so I didn’t want to linger at my stops.  I ended up going over Hope Pass about 3:15, but it was cold, sleeting, raining, thundering, and quite unpleasant.  I got down the other side as fast as possible.  It was a steep descent and I took care not to injure myself.  I finally found a meager campsite 0.1 miles from a stream.  After returning from a quick water run, I put the tent up, just as the sprinkle turned into a downpour.  I threw the pack in, then myself, all very wet.  It was a miserable night.  It rained hard, the tent leaked, and I went to bed without supper.


8/5/16 – to Junction with Apostle Basin Trail; 10,830 feet; 6.5 miles

Because of the unpleasant night before, I was hesitant to take off in the rain again this morning.  It drizzled, then stopped.  I fixed a hot dinner for breakfast, plus hot chocolate and tea, and then went back to bed, hoping for better weather.  I didn’t leave camp until 11:30, and did so with a backpack full of very wet clothes, tent, etc.  Within an hour, it started raining again.  After yesterday’s experience on Hope Pass, I was determined not to attempt climbing to Lake Ann Pass in bad weather.  So at 3:00, I set up campt near the junction of Apostle Basin Trail.  It was only 6.5 miles for the day, short of the Pass by 2.7 miles, and short of Cottonwood Pass by 18.8 miles.  Very late this afternoon, the sky broke open, blue sky appeared, and sun shone on the surrounding slopes.  I made a big dinner and a rum cocktail to celebrate.  I will go to bed at sunset.  Can I make it to Cottonwood Pass tomorrow?  Certainly the weather looks promising, and I am motivated.


8/6/16 – to Cottonwood Pass (10,142 feet;) and on to Jack’s house above Buena Vista; 18.8 miles

I got up shortly after 5:00 am, and was deeply disappointed when it started raining soon thereafter.  I had a quick breakfast, then packed up a very, very wet tent, and started walking by 7:00.  I reached Lake Ann Pass by 9:00 in miserable weather.  But I was soon able to reach Mollyi by phone, and she agreed to pick me up at Cottonwood Pass late in the day.  I walked hard.  By mid-day it cleared, and I staggered to Cottonwood Pass before 7:00 pm.  19 miles in 12 hours.  Molly arrived within an hour bearing cold beers.  (But I had already been given two beers by Brian Haas, a jazz pianist I met at the pass.)  I had a wonderful evening at Jack & Margies’ house.  Not only were the Graces’ there, but also Molly, Thom Garrison, and Lola, Sarge, and Sapphire.  We had hamburgers on the grill.  I slept like a baby.


8/7/16 – Jack’s house, Buena Vista; 0.0 miles

I took a zero day in Buena Vista.  I shopped for a pack and a hat without luck.  We had more burgers and more beer at the Lariat Saloon, and Margie made a fabulous salmon dinner.  I sadly said goodbye to Molly, who had to return to Denver for a job interview Monday morning.


8/8/16 – Jack’s house, Buena Vista; 0.0 miles

Today turned into another zero day.  I had intended a late start on the trail, so we made another visit to the Lariat for an early lunch.  By the time Jack got me up to Cottonwood Pass, about 12:30, it was raining, thundering, windy, and cold.  I decided to wait another day before resuming my hike.  We drove to Leadville for a Mexican dinner at “The Grille.”  My treat.


8/9/16 – to North Fork Chalk Creek; 11,113 feet; 16.2 miles

Jack & Thom got me to Cottonwood Pass about 8:00 am.  The weather looked great.  It took me 10 hours to cover 16 miles today, mostly high above treeline.  Absolutely gorgeous scenery.  It wore me out, though.  At least 4 parties are camped near here, counting myself.  It is quite a change, as almost all of my camps have been solitary affairs.  I would like to cover 15+ miles tomorrow, but I hear from other hikers there is bad weather due tomorrow.    I reached my highest point so far on this tripo:  12,860 feet on the ridge above Woodchopper Creek watershed.


8/10/16 – to Boss Lake Trailhead; 10,420 feet; 15.6 miles

Everything was soaked by heavy dew overnight.  I got walking at 7:00, as usual, but every other party had already left.  I saw a bull moose just above treeline.  I reconnected with Larry and Marcella, whom I hadn’t seen in a couple of weeks.  I also met “Mammoth<” who was on day 71 of a southbound Canada to Mexico hike of the Continental Divide Trail.  He had already done the AT and the PCT, and had walked across the U.S. from NYC to San Diego.  It will be another damp night here; there is lots of moisture in the air.  I passed the halfway point today!


8/11/16  - to “Dry Campsite;” 11,658 feet; 12.7 miles

Another damp night.  I will avoid camping near low creeks in the future.  I packed up my thoroughly-soaked tent and started walking at 7:30.  Larry and Marcella lingered behind, but caught up with me on the far side of the high ridge.   Together, we reached Monarch Crest Gift Shop about 2:30.  I picked up a package I had mailed from Buena Vista, adding 11 pounds to my pack.  I ate ice cream and frito chili pie.  I left about 4:30, and arrived at this camp before 6:00.  It is my highest camp so far, and the views are beautiful.   I set up my tent, which was still dripping from this morning, but it dried out quickly in the high, dry air.   The sun is setting.  If I can stay up, there is supposed to be an excellent meteor shower tonight.

Description: My Passport for Mac:CT Best:DSC_0437.JPG


8/12/16 – to Tank Seven Creek; 20.3 miles; camped at 10,351’

There was a heavy frost last night.  Two other tents joined me late, after sunset:  Mammoth, who is walking the CDT, and young Will from Illinois.   I packed up and started walking before either of them got out of their tents.  And both passed me during the day.  I’ll probably never see Mammoth again.   But Will is here tonight at Tank Seven Creek, along with another tent.   It was a long day today:  more than 20 miles in just over 12 hours.  I’m up later than usual, since I arrived so late.  I might sleep late tomorrow.  My feet hurt.


8/13/16 – to Junction with Razor Creek Trail; 14.4 miles; camped at 10,848’

Everything seemed hard today.  Water was scarce.  My feet hurt.  My back hurt.  The scenery was mediocre.  It threatened rain.  And I made only 14 miles.  I reached Razor Creek about 4:00, badly in need of a bath, but water was too scarce.  Two women, who look to be in their sixties, are camped by the tiny stream.  They are doing the whole Colorado Trail.  They left Denver on July 13th, one full week before me.  Finally, I’ve met people older and slower than me!  I found a campsite ¼ mile downstream (a mostly dry creekbed) where I enjoyed a leisurely dinner.  I just made a cocktail, for medicinal purposes.  Two mountain bikers just arrived and will be camped nearby.  They are doing the CT also.  They left Denver one week ago.  I hope for a good night’s sleep, and for strength tomorrow.  By my math, I am 60% of the way there.


8/14/16 – to CT mile 311.8; 19.0 miles; camped at ~9,650’

Good day today.  The terrain was relatively flat, and walking seemed relatively easy.  I covered 19 miles in about 12 hours, so my speed was similar to the day I reached Cottonwood Pass.  The up and down was much less this time.  But today I stopped and took a bath!  What a treat!  I feel so much better!  I walked for awhile with Malcolm, a 25-year old veterinary school student.  We saw a bobcat while stopped for lunch.  Malcolm is trying to do the entire CT in 3 weeks.   I wasn’t long before he went off and left me.  I think I’ll try to do only 15 miles tomorrow.


8/15/16 – to Nutras Creek; 15.3 miles; camped at 10,047’

It was a difficult night last night.  The rum cocktail put me to sleep, but I soon woke up, unable to get comfortable, seemingly in pain all over my body.  Before dawn, I finally took a couple aspirin.  That seemed to help, and I ended up sleeping late.  My 15 mile day was okay, but I was tired and hurting when I reached my campsite.  The last couple days have been mostly walking through grazing land.  Not much up and down, just wide open sunny spaces with lots of cows and lots of manure.   Water has been scarce, and of poor quality because of the cows.  I will start climbing tomorrow, thank goodness, and will reach 12,000 feet by afternoon.  Here’s hoping for good weather.  I passed the 2/3 mark today!


8/16/16 – to near treeline, CT mile 345.0; 17.9 miles; camped at 11,917’

I slept well and long last night, 10 or 11 hours of sleep.  I didn’t leave camp until almost 8:00.  I felt good and moved fast this morning.  I finally left the low, dry cattle country and up among the high peaks, where the water is good and the scenery is wonderful.  I crossed over 3 passes in excess of 12,000 feet, including the highest of the trip so far:  the 12,887’ saddle north of Peak 13,111.  My camp tonight, at 11,917, is also my highest camp so far this trip.  I arrived in light rain.  I threw up the tent quickly and jumped in with my pack.  Thankfully, the rain didn’t last long, and I was able to emerge from the tent for dinner.  But it certainly is cold here.  I’m guessing it is 40 degrees F.  I wore all the clothes that I had, and still struggled to stay warm while cooking dinner.  I think perhaps the fall weather is starting already. 

I discovered Mobic today!  I’ve carried it in my first aid kit for a couple years, but only today tried it for the first time.  It really eases the aches and pains.  I believe it helped me move faster by reducing my need to stop so often to alleviate my aching back or painful feet.

I walked about 18 miles in 10  hours today, which is pretty good for me.  Only 12 ½ miles to the road where I’ll hitch to Lake City.  I’m looking forward to some rest, some fatty food, and some human interaction.


8/17/16 – to Spring Creek Pass (10,908’) and Raven’s Rest Hostel, Lake City; 12.4 miles

It was cool and cloudy when I got up, but not raining.  I had a quick breakfast, and was underway by 7:30.  I felt good and moved reasonably fast in the morning.  It was high, interesting scenery.  My camera lens wasn’t wide angle enough to capture it.  I went over some 12,000’ passes, did a high, boulder-strewn traverse, and then had a long, open walk over Snow Mesa.  It was quite extraordinary in a desolute, solitary, sublime sort of way.  It hailed on me about half way across the mesa, just after I had changed from boots to sandals.  Finally, I reached the edge of the Mesa, and quickly made the two mile descent to Spring Creek Pass.  I finished the last of my snack/lunch food as I rested, then started hitch hiking toward Lake City.  It took me 1 ½ hours and 2 miles of walking, but finally a wonderful couple in a Lexus picked me up and dropped me off in front of Raven’s Rest Hostel.  I showered, changed into the minimal clean clothes I had remaining (a wool sweater with nothing underneath but a pair of shorts and sandals) and walked to Restless Spirits Saloon for pizza and beer.  It was very satisfying.   The hostel was nearly full - maybe 10 of the 12 bunks taken – and occupied by friendly, interesting people.  It was a very enjoyable exchange, though I was so tired I had to leave the conversation for bed about 9:00 pm.  I slept like a baby. 

Description: My Passport for Mac:CT Best:DSC_0618.JPG

8/18/16 – Raven’s Rest Hostel, Lake City.  0.0 miles

A zero day in Lake City.  It was rainy and cold, and I was so glad to be in town.   I ate and drank most of the day, taking breaks only to do a little laundry, and to catch up with MB.  I had a great conversation with Lucky, the proprietor of Raven’s Rest, about an AT hostel in Hot Springs.  He sees many positives.  I enjoyed the hostel social interaction, odd as it may be.


8/19/16 – to Colorado Trail Friends Yurt; 11,713’; 8.7 miles

After a leisurely morning, including a shower and two meals, I caught the noon shuttle to the trailhead at Spring Creek Pass.  Young Will, from Illinois, joined me on the shuttle, and we walked more or less together to the Yurt at mile 8.7 of this segment.  There is a very good group here tonight.  Tomorrow I need to put in a long day.


8/20/16 – to CT mile 384.5; 12,538’; 18.4 miles

I left the yurt at 7:30 am, and arrived at this site, 18 miles away, 12 hours later.  It’s been a beautiful day, with outstanding scenery.  I felt good.  I passed the high point on the CT late morning.  I spent essentially the entire day between 12,000 and 13,000 feet elevation.  Young Will from Illinois is camped next to me.  We are at my highest camp on this trail, over 12,500 feet.  It is only about 26 miles to Molas Pass and the hitch into Silverton.  It will be cold tonight.  It is a gorgeous, clear, starry sky.  The San Juans are fabulous.


8/21/16 – to CT mile 401.1; 10,171’; 16.6 miles

I got up early and rolled up my very frosty tent.  It was a good long day, though not quite as spectacular as yesterday.  In the afternoon, as I was walking across a high mesa, it spitted snow, sleet, and rain.  I made quick time in the lousy weather.  The CT separates from the CDT high on the mesa, just before the CT takes a dramatic turn down the Elk Creek Gulch.   I found a campsite near the creek down lower than I’ve camped in a while.  I was soon joined by Young Will, who helped me finish the medicinal rum.

Description: My Passport for Mac:CT Best:DSC_0779.JPG


8/22/16 – to Molas Pass (10,886’) and Silverton; 9.6 miles

As usual, I was up, fed, packed, and walking before Young Will stirred.  It was about 4 miles downhill to the Animas River and the Durango-Silverton train tracks.   It was a pleasant, sunny morning.  From the river, it is 4 ½ mile uphill almost 2,000 feet to Molas Pass.  The first couple of miles were steep, but came fairly easily.  I stopped to rest and snack, and was treated to a view of the train chugging through.   The last mile and a half was less enjoyable.  I could see the highway to Molas Pass, but the trail didn’t seem to get me closer.  Worse, it had clouded up and was threatening rain.  I finally reached the pass and the highway about 1:00 pm, and was quickly able to hitch a ride, just as it started raining.  (Poor Will, still back there in the rain.)  My ride dropped me off in front of the Blair Street Hostel, where I secured a bunk and was soon showered.  Cathy, the host, did my laundry while I west to Avalanche Brewery next door for beer and pizza.  A little while later, I ate another big meal – cheeseburger with green chilis – at Handlebars, before an early bedtime.


8/23/16 – Blair Street Hostel, Silverton; 9,300’; 0.0 miles

It was raining when I woke up, and my plan to return to the trail was quickly abandoned.   It was a cold, wet, miserable day, but my body appreciated the rest, and I was certainly glad not to be walking or camping in this weather.   It was a very lazy day, killing time between meals by catching up with Maribeth and daughters, and reading the latest news.  It was Brown Bear Café for breakfast, Natalia’s for lunch, and the Golden Block Brewery for dinner – beer and pizza again.  There are a whole bunch of holed-up through-hikers in Silverton tonight.  Most are 30 – 35 years younger than me.


8/24/16 – to CT mile 428.7; 11,503’; 18.0 miles

I had another good night’s sleep at the Blair Street Hostel.  Jan, the owner, shuttled 3 of us to Molas Pass at 7:30 this morning.  The high peaks were all covered with fresh snow from yesterday’s weather.  An absolutely spectacular morning!  I felt good, and the miles slipped by quickly.   I got over the 12,500’ pass before stopping for lunch.  That was the last time the CT gets that high.  I had planned to walk 15 miles today, but felt too good to stop.  I finally found a nice campsite 18 miles in.  I’m here by myself tonight, except for one female mule deer who keeps circling my tent.  She seems keen to make friends.  I’ve also heard the huffing (bugling?) of something (a moose? an elk? a bear?) somewhere below my camp.  My mule deer friend is very attentive to that noise; it makes her very skittish.   I’m done.  Good night.

Description: My Passport for Mac:CT select:DSC_0849.JPG


8/25/16 – to CT mile 440.3; 10,850’; 11.6 miles

For the first time on this trip, I had some difficulty staying warm in the dark, cold couple of hours before dawn.   But I managed, and got a good night’s rest, not rising until the sun was up and shining on the tent.  I prepared a fairly big breakfast:  hot chocolate, hot tea, and a great big bowl of cold cereal.  My doe mule deer friend was still lingering around camp, paying much attention to spots where I had peed.   I finally started walking about 8:30.  It was a short day – only 12 miles – but it seemed more difficult that it should have been.  My left foot was particularly problematic as the day wore on, despite 2 ibuprofens at lunch.  I made camp at 3:00 just downstream of Straight Creek. 

This is purportedly the last reliable water until Taylor Lake, 22 miles away.  My plan is to load up as much water as possible before I leave here tomorrow, and walk the entire 22 miles.  Unfortunately, I have only two 1-liter water bottles.  I also have an empty half-liter rum bottle that I’ll fill with water.  And, I will finish off my peanut butter and use that 12 ounce jar for water also.  In total, I’ll have less than 3 liters.  That should be enough if I’m careful.  

I thought I was camping alone tonight.  But after dinner I was joined by five more people:  a couple from Cumberland Gap, Kentucky, and 3 Asian men.  All of us plan to reach Durango on Sunday, so I may see these guys again.  As I write this (7:30 pm,) thunder is rumbling continuously, ominously, and ever closer.  It may be an interesting night.


8/26/16 – to “Scenic Overlook,” CT mile 454.8; 11,331’; 14.5 miles

It was quite the thunderstorm last night.  Lots of thunder, lightning, and rain.  It lasted about 3 hours.  I stayed dry and slept well.  I woke shortly after 5:00 am and began preparing in the dark for my long walk.  Everyone else in camp was also up, and little headlights moved busily but quietly about.  I started walking about 6:30, foregoing anything hot for breakfast.  It was not yet sunrise, but there was enough light to see the puddles and wet foliage hanging into the trail.  I felt good today, though I switched from boots to sandals after five miles because of that pain that comes occasionally in my left foot.  I had no problems with the sandals.

After 14 miles, I was pleased to find water.  The guidebook said it might be there, but was unreliable.  Presumably, last night’s rain helped.  In any case, I did not have to go 22 miles after all!  There was no reason to:  with 2 days until Maribeth arrives in Durango, there is nothing to be gained by hurrying.   And by staying here, I can do the final 12,000’ sections of the Colorado Trail in the morning, when the weather is usually the best. 

My campsite tonight is among the very best of this trail.  It sits out on a bench, with gorgeous views.   The storm that I feared never developed.  Instead, I have a hazy, sunny view of green trees and meadows below, tall snow-covered peaks in the distance, and a blue sky broken by big white and gray cumulus clouds.  Coyotes yip in the meadow below occasionally.  If I can stay up until dark, it might be an amazing night view.    The couple from Cumberland Gap is camped 150 yards away (I have the better tent site) and the Chinese men are 0.4 miles back down the trail by the water.  I’ve seen no other hikers today. 


8/27/16 – to Junction Creek, CT mile 470.2; 8,522’; 15.4 miles

I fell asleep before dark, and slept well, waking only once or twice to see a million stars out the open tent door.  I awoke at the first hint of light – about 5:30 – and fixed a nice big breakfast as I watched the sky lighten and the sun rise.  From my high camp, the horizon was  low, and long yellow rays of light made it a magic morning.  I finally started walking about 7:15.  It was a climb, and in a few miles I was walking about 12,000’ on Indian Trail Ridge.  Magnificent scenery in all directions, including steeply below.  I reached Taylor Lake mid-morning, having descended from 12,000’ for the last time on this trip. 

I reached Kenebec Pass Trailhead and ran into a couple of the Asian hikers I had met before.  We snacked and chatted.   Ende is 70.  I’d guess Lucas is 40.   They are both Chinese, and live in Toronto.  Their  English is not great, so we had trouble communicating.  They offered  me a piece of “Chinese Army biscuit,” which was unlike anything I’d eaten before.  And not bad.  Neither Lucas nor Ende knew what the ingredients were.

It started raining, then sleeting, just as we got over Kenebec Pass.  We suited up and trudged down.  It was actually quite beautiful, though not particularly comfortable.  I dawdled on the way down to camp, finally arriving about 4:00.  The Chinese invited me to find a tent site nearby.  Later, we were joined by Jason and Annie, a 30-something couple from Carbondale, Colorado.  They had also run into the Chinese previously.  Lucas had been picking mushrooms along the trail, and tonight he cooked up a big pot over a fire.    With some apprehension, I tried a bite.  Not bad at all.  The Chinese were shoveling them down.  I filled my sierra cup.   We started talking about having a big feast.  This being our last night on the trail, all the food must go!  But then a clap of thunder, a bolt of lightning, and a sudden deluge of rain chased us all into our tents.  It had rained on our party.   I finished my last Mountain House meal (lasagna) in my tent, and I am now trying desperately to make a dent in a one-pound bag of M&Ms. 

It is 14.4 miles to Durango and the end of this Colorado Trail.  I am so very glad I did this.  And I’ll be so very glad when it is finished.  I am really looking forward to seeing MB and Molly tomorrow.  I can’t wait!!!


8/28/16 – to Junction Creek Trailhead (the Durango Terminus); 6,983’; 14.4 miles

The Chinese woke me up before dawn, and they were gone soon afterwards.  I finished off the hot chocolate and tea, and tried to wipe away the water on the tent with a bandana.  But it was still sopping wet when I rolled it up.  I got underway shortly after 7:00.  It was a beautiful day, and the climb in the first 4 miles went fast.  I passed, and then was passed by, Caleb and Jason from Utah, who I had first met in Silverton.  Soon, I was meeting day-hikers strolling up from Durango.  I stopped for lunch 4.5 miles from trail’s end and finished off the sausage and cheese.  I also ate the last Cliff Bar.  I arrived at the Junction Creek Trailhead at 2:30, having now walked nearly 490 miles from Denver in 40 days, including 5 zero days.  With the help of Jason and Caleb, I finished off the M&Ms, and took pictures to mark our completion.  Soon, a woman with a young son offered us a ride into Durango.  We headed first to Carvers, where a free beer is offered to through-hikers, and where I was soon joined by Maribeth and Molly.  What a treat to see these beautiful ladies!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Joe's Colorado Trail - Daily Logbook

7/20/16 – Waterton Canyon to Bear Creek; 6,177 feet; 8.7 miles Molly took my picture and gave me a hug.   I started walking at 10:00 am...